Monday, October 13, 2008

$1.32 per serving - Ravioli with Peas in Rose Sauce

The weather was so beautiful today we decided to drive down to Cape May and wander. After two nights running of Julia sleeping poorly (baby girl inherited my allergies, poor thing) I was really not in the mood, but Jim really wanted to go. I'm glad I gave in and went, even though we ate lunch out. Josh had a great time and the sea air seems to have helped Julia's congestion.

Breakfast - $1.05
Bagels with peanut butter and pears again

Lunch - $5.75
We split a small pizza and each had a small soda or lemonade.
Funny how it galls me to pay this much and I've only been tracking a few days!

Ravioli with peas in rose sauce - $1.32 per serving
1 package frozen mini ravioli (any filled pasta will work) $3.50
1 cup frozen peas $0.50
2 tbsp. flour
1 dash black pepper
1 cup milk $0.25
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes $1.00
Grated cheese (I prefer pecorino romano)

1. Cook pasta according to directions, adding peas the last minute of cooking. Drain and keep warm.
2. Stir together flour and pepper, and slowly stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Cook 1 minute more, then add undrained tomatoes and heat through.
3. Add pasta and peas to tomato mixture and toss gently to coat. Sprinkle grated cheese over each dish. Makes 4 servings

The Verdict:
Jim and Josh really enjoyed this one. I found the flavor a bit bland, and will try one of the cans of tomatoes with spices already added next time I catch them on sale. (Maybe the one with garlic and balsamic vinegar, yum!) This was VERY fast and easy. It's definitely a keeper for crazy nights after work, to avoid the dreaded call for pizza...

Even on sale, filled pastas tend to be expensive. I have to watch for a sale on that again soon, I'm nearly out of it.

1 comment:

Ida said...

Good Ideas. Thanks.

oh Tib's give away is at the top right of her blog. It has a big shark says 1000th. Good Luck