I need an easy dinner tonight, I'm feeling under the weather. For me, pizza and the like are comfort foods... and I have everything on hand for this!
Stromboli ~ $0.84 per serving
1 lb. pizza dough ($1.00 - I get it from my local pizza place!)
2 cups shredded Italian-style cheese ($2.80)
1/4 pound capicola ($1.25)
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. With floured hands and surface, Stretch pizza dough out to a 9X13' rectangle.
3. Layer half the cheese, the capicola, and the rest of the cheese, leaving 1 inch around edges.
4. Roll up carefully, sealing long edge and tucking short edges under.
5. Place seam side down on cookie sheet. Brush top with oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and grated cheese.
6. Bake 20 minutes at 400. Let rest at least 10 minutes before slicing.
Makes 6 servings
I've made this for years, and I know the whole family loves it. I always serve it with broccoli drizzled with olive oil and garlic powder ($0.25 per serving) and a side of tomato sauce for dipping. ($0.10 per serving.) This is a favorite, and a good "go to" meal when things are hectic. My local pizza shop occasionally runs specials of 10 lbs. of dough for $10. I'll usually buy 20 pounds and keep them packages separately in the freezer. Pizza or stromboli is always easy to do, so I try to keep the fixings on hand...
Plus, you can make fresh donuts with pizza dough! :) Just roll out your dough, cut it into donut shapes w/ cookie cutters, and fry briefly on both sides in very hot oil. Drain on paper towels, then dip in sugar, sprinkles, or other topping. Enjoy!