Sunday, October 12, 2008

$0.92 per serving - Autumn Sausage Casserole

Today we decided to take the family to the Deerfield Township Harvest Festival to have a little fun in the beautiful fall weather. I didn't want to have to deal with cooking when we got back, so it was a day for CrockPot cooking. I have been avidly following A Year of CrockPotting and after spending last Thursday picking apples, we were totally ready for her Autumn Sausage Casserole! If you try it and like it, please pop on over to her blog and let her know, I take NO credit for this one :)

Breakfast- $1.05
Bagels ($0.70 each) with peanut butter (about $0.15 per serving)
Pears (about $0.20 each)

Lunch- FREE!

Leftovers are already paid for :)

Autumn Sausage Casserole - $0.92
1 pound sausage (chicken with basil and pecorino romano) $5.99 per pound
2 small apples, chopped $0.75
1 onion, chopped $0.30
1/2 cup carrots, chopped $0.65
3 cups cooked brown rice $2.00
1/2 cup raisins $0.50
Parsley, brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon, black pepper to taste (I never measure)
1/3 cup broth or water (vegetable broth) $0.75

If sausage is uncooked, brown and drain.
Dump all ingredients in CrockPot and stir well.
Cook on low 5-7 hours or high 3-4 hours.

The Verdict:
Wow. This really does taste like a bowl of autumn! I used brown rice which gave it more of a risotto texture, where the original recipe used long grain and wild rice which had a texture like fried rice. Jim loved it, my mother-in-law loved it, Josh loved it, and I'll eat it all week. It's a winner! And because it's in a CrockPot, it's a big recipe... I'm estimating 12 servings, which ends up at a tiny $0.92 per serving!

1 comment:

Stephanie ODea said...

yay! I'm so glad that you liked it! I was very happy with the way this turned out, and that everyone ate it!
xoxo
steph