Tuesday, October 21, 2008

$0.94 per serving ~ Mediterranean Minestrone Soup and Garlic Bread

Based on Grandma's recipe...


Mediterranean Minestrone Soup
~ $0.94 per serving ~
3 medium carrots, sliced ($0.75)
1 medium onion, chopped ($0.35)
1 cup water
1 packet seasoning ($1.00)
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained ($1.00)
1 15 oz. can beans of your choice ($1.00)
1 6 oz. can tomato paste ($0.60)
1 can green beans ($0.45)
1 cup uncooked small macaroni ($0.50)
1 cup water
Grated cheese

1. Mix all ingredients except green beans, macaroni, second cup of water, and cheese in slow cooker.
2. Cover and cook on Low setting for 6-8 hours
3. Stir in green beans, water, and macaroni. Increase setting to High. Cover and cook 20 minutes.
4. Serve sprinkled with cheese.
Makes 6 servings.

The Verdict
I used some frozen semolina bread to make garlic bread, just slathered it with butter and garlic and parsley and toasted it under the broiler. I always save random ends of bread for this! When I made this I used garbanzo beans and a Red Monkey "Mediterranean Mojo" seasoning packet. If I didn't have that in the cupboard, I'd have used garlic powder, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, and a pinch of sugar. Any seasoning packet you like will do, or experiment with the spices in your cupboard. I definitely needed more seasoning... it was missing something.

It was good. Not great, but good. It makes a lot and is very filling. I'm sure I'll make it again, it tends to be a solid winter option in this house :)

No comments: