- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup beer (I recommend a darker beer, we used Newcastle Brown Ale)
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- garlic powder
- 3 large onions, sliced into rings (or zucchini in strips, or cleaned mushrooms, or...)
- 2 quarts oil for frying
- Sift flour into a large bowl. In another large bowl, whisk egg yolks. Mix in beer, butter and spices to taste. Set aside 1 cup of flour for dipping the veggies. Slowly stir the egg yolk mixture into the remaining flour and mix well. Allow the mixture to stand 30 to 60 minutes.
- Heat deep fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a small bowl, stiffly beat the egg whites. Gently combine the egg whites with the batter.
- Coat each veggie with flour and dip into batter.
- Deep fry the battered veggies, several at a time, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve.
This was amazing on onions and zucchini! There was NOTHING left on the table. I want to try it on fish because it tasted like fish and chips batter. Wow. Just wow.