It's the weekend, and I am sick as a dog! Thank goodness Jim cooked breakfast...
$0.30 per serving ~ Stuffed French Toast
4 slices of bread, halved with crusts cut off ($0.40)
4 tbsp ricotta cheese ($0.25)
2 tbsp jam of your choice ($0.15)
1 egg ($0.25)
1/2 cup milk ($0.15)
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Spread 4 bread halves with ricotta and the other 4 with jam. Make into sandwiches.
2. Combine egg and milk to make egg wash. Dip sandwiches in egg wash and cook on griddle.
Makes 4 servings
Grilled Cheese sandwiches served with carrots and ranch dressing
Bean Picadillo ~ $0.56 per serving
2 14.5 oz cans pinto, black, or great northern beans ($2.00)
1/2 red onion, chopped ($0.35)
1 cup raisins ($1.00)
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 tbsp. minced garlic
2 medium apples, peeled and finely chopped ($0.85)
2 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained ($2.00)
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted ($0.50)
1. Mix all ingredients except almonds in a large crockpot.
2. Cook on low 4 hours or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
3. Remove 2 cups (4 servings) into a separate container (I did this twice.) Can be refrigerated up to 4 days or frozen up to 4 months.
4. Stir almonds into remaining mixture and serve.
Makes 12 servings!!!
This recipe is usually made with ground beef (I got it from my girlfriend Jenny R a few years back and we LOVE it). But I couldn't be bothered defrosting the beef, and I had thebeans, so I figured, what the heck? I love this big gigantic recipe... we're having the picadillo in burritos on Monday, and I froze the second container to enjoy later in the month.
It was spicier than I expected, so we stirred in some sour cream and WHOA was it good! Jim's mom loved it, and so did Josh. I served it over rice pilaf (I only buy boxed rices on 10 for $10 sales) and found a Tex-Mex cornbread "beer bread" mix in the closet to go with it. Yum! Definitely making burritos with it Monday... adding cheese, wrapping it in tortillas, and dipping it in sour cream. It's going to be awesome :)