Once a week Jim has band practice. Rehearsal cycles between homes, so every few weeks I'm feeding two extra hungry men. We'll see what they think of this "whats in the cupbboard?" meal...
Thanksgiving Shepherds Pie ~ $0.84 per serving
1 lb. ground turkey ($1.00)
1 bag frozen mixed vegetables ($1.00)
1 can turkey gravy ($0.75)
1/2 cup broth of your choice ($o.75)
salt and pepper
1 box (2 pouches) mashed sweet potatoes, prepared ($1.50, prepared w/milk and butter)
Nutmeg and allspice
1. Prepare mashed potatoes according to directions and set aside. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Brown turkey over medium heat and drain.
3. Add vegetables, gravy, and broth. Sit and cook until bubbly.
4. Pour turkey mixture into baking dish. Top with sweet potatoes. Sprinkle with nutmeg and allspice.
5. Bake 45 minutes at 400 degrees.
Makes 6 servings.
I'm posting before the guys get here... but this was very nearly a disaster. The potatoes kind of melted into the rest of the mix, instead of making a crust on top. That said... it was yummy! Jim really liked it. Josh wasn't too enthused. Next time I'll omit the broth and reduce the liquid in the potatoes... it's worth trying again!