Tuesday, March 31, 2009

$0.65 per serving ~ Beef and Bean Medley

When I saw this recipe in a BH&G cookbook, I realized I had everything on hand so I decided to try it.


Beef and Bean Medley ~ $0.65 per serving, $6.50 total cost
1 lb. ground beef ($2.00)
1 small onion, chopped ($0.25)
6 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled ($1.00)
1 28 oz. can baked beans ($1.25)
1 15 oz. can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained ($0.75)
1 15 oz. can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained ($0.75)
1 cup ketchup ($0.50)
3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 tbsp. dark brown sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp. pepper

1. In a large skillet, good ground beef and onion until beef is browned. Drain fat and transfer to crock pot. Add crumbled bacon and all beans.
2. In a bowl, combine ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, water, and pepper. Stir to combine and add to crock pot.
3. Stir well, cover, and cook on low 6 hours.
4. Serve with tortilla chips if desired.
Makes 10 servings

The Verdict
I wasn't actually home to eat this, so I'll have it for lunch tomorrow. Jim pronounced it "tasty" and ate 3 helpings. Josh, on the other hand, took one bite and then finished his tortilla chips without eating another bite, so I guess that's a no from him.

No comments: