This came from Mom's school of protein + starch + veggies = dinner in one pot.
Gingered Beef and Rice ~ $0.94 per serving, $3.75 total cost
1 lb. lean ground beef ($2.00)
2 tbsp. fresh ginger, finely chopped
1 6.2 oz box rice and vermicelli mix - Fried Rice flavor ($0.75)
2 cups water
1 medium bell pepper, chopped ($0.25)
8 oz. frozen sugar snap peas ($0.50)
1/4 slivered almonds, if desired ($0.25)
soy or teriyaki sauce to taste
1. Saute beef and ginger in large skillet until beef is thoroughly browned. Drain.
2. Add rice mix and seasoning packet. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes. Add water and bring to a boil.
3. Lower heat to low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add pepper and snap peas. Cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Remove from heat and stir in almonds. Serve with soy or teriyaki sauce.
Makes 4 servings.
Josh, who has been sick with strep throat, found his appetite again when I gave him a bowl of this. He said "Mommy, this is SO yummy!" Jim thought it was just ok. I thought it was boring until I topped it with some Thai sweet chile sauce. All in all, not a bad experiment, and very easy for a work night!