Thursday, March 5, 2009

$0.51 per serving ~ Christine's Corn Fritters

My mom used to make these when I was a kid. This and broccoli were the regular side dishes to a dinner of baked chicken cutlets. At some point she stopped frying them and started cooking them like pancakes, but when I found this recipe in with some others of hers, I knew I needed to make them the old fashioned way...

Christine's Corn Fritters ~ $0.51 per serving, $2.55 total cost
1 1/3 cups buttermilk baking mix ($1.30)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 14.75 oz can cream-style corn ($0.50)
1 egg, beaten ($0.25)
1 cup oil for frying ($0.50)
syrup or molasses

1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
2. While heating, sift together baking mix and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. In a small mixing bowl, combine corn and egg.
3. Combine egg and flour mixtures, stir gently.
4. Drop batter by tablespoonsful into hot oil one layer at a time. Fry approx. 1 minute on each side until golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper or towel. Serve with maple syrup or molasses if desired.
Makes 5 servings of 3 fritters each.

The Verdict
I was planning to serve leftover Creamy Ham Chowder tonight. I really wanted to do something a little bit different so that Josh wouldn't get bored... man, was this the right choice! He ate the soup AND 4 fritters, saying "Mama, this is SO yummy" over and over again! Jim took one bite and said, "Yeah, these can't be good for you. I don't think I care." They were just like I remember my Mom's. I shouldn't make them often, but I will make them again.


No comments: