Monday, March 16, 2009

$1.35 per serving ~ Steak & Guinness Pot Pie

My husband is as Irish as they come, so I need to cook Irish food on St. Patrick's day... but he doesn't like corned beef or cabbage! So my friend Trip passed on this fantastic recipe for me to try. I modified it slightly for the Crock Pot because Tuesdays are very hectic.

Steak & Guinness Pot Pie ~ $1.35 per serving, $13.50 total cost
2 lbs. round steak, cut into small pieces ($4.00)
8 slices bacon, chopped ($3.00)
2 tbsp. flour
2 tbsp. shortening
2 bottles Guinness ($4.00)
2 cups raisins ($1.00)
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 box premade pie crust ($1.50)

1. Combine beef and bacon, sprinkle with flour and mix to coat.
2. Place in skillet with shortening and brown, then drain. Mix with 1 bottle of beer, brown sugar, and raisins. Pour into crock pot.
3. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
4. About 30 minutes before you want to eat, brown bottom pie crust in oven according to package directions. Pour meat mixture in, cover with top crust, and brown in oven according to package directions.
Makes 10 servings

The Verdict
Holy cow, WOW! Thank you Trip! This was AMAZING. Definitely going to make this a St. Patrick's Day tradition. I served it with mashed potatoes and kale. YUMMY!!!!! Next time I may monkey with the filling and add some carrots or other non-potato root veggies.

No comments: