Back at Christmas I froze a hambone with a ton of meat on it. Since a huge snowstorm was predicted, I started this Sunday night. It is definitely worth the overnight work for this one...
Creamy Ham Chowder ~ $0.33 per serving, $3.25 total cost
1 ham bone with meat remaining (free!)
water to cover
1 stick butter ($0.25)
8 tbsp. flour
4 cups low-fat milk, divided ($1.20)
2 15 oz. cans corn ($1.50)
3 carrots, diced ($0.30)
2 tbsp. dried minced onion
2 tbsp. minced garlic
salt and pepper
sweet smoked paprika
1. Crack ham bone. Place in 6 quart CrockPot. Add enough water to just cover. Cover and cook on low 8 hours or overnight.
2. Drain over large bowl. Pick through, discarding bone, fat, and skin. Shred remaining meat and set aside.
3. Allow broth to cool. Skim fat from top (VERY important!!!!!)
4. Melt butter in a large soup pot. Remove from heat and mix in flour until smooth.
5. Slowly add 2 cups milk, stirring constantly. Return pot to stove and cook on low heat until thickened.
6. Stir in corn, shredded ham, diced carrots, dried minced onion and minced garlic. Slowly stir in remaining 2 cups milk and the ham broth.
7. Simmer without boiling 30 minutes.
8. Add salt, pepper, and paprika to taste. Serve and enjoy!
Makes 10 servings
I will never throw away a ham bone again. This was amazing! Everyone loved it, Josh had seconds and Jim had thirds! And there is enough left for two full meals. I definitely recommend using the Hungarian sweet smoked paprika if you have it, it's sweeter and smokier than regular paprika (duh, who'd have thunk it!) You could of course add more/different vegetables... potatoes, turnips, parsnips, peppers, chopped tomato... the possibilities are endless!