Yes, Puttanesca is back from the depths of high school musical season! And if I play it just right, I'll have 3 new recipes in the next 3 days!
Apricot Chicken ~ $1.00 per serving, $6.00 total cost
2 tsbp. butter
2 tbsp. olive oil
2.5 lbs chicken thighs ($4.00)
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup dried apricots ($1.25)
1 small onion, sliced ($0.25)
1 cup chicken broth ($0.50)
1. Melt butter with oil in skillet. Season chicken with salt and pepper and brown in skillet until golden brown (about 5-6 minutes per side.)
2. Scatter apricots in bottom of crockpot.
3. Remove chicken and place on top of apricots in crock pot.
4. Saute onion in drippings until soft.
5. Add chicken broth to skillet and bring to a boil, loosening browned bits into the broth.
6. Pour broth and onions over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
7. Remove chicken carefully to a serving tray (it tends to fall apart.) Pour remaining juices into skillet and coor about 10 minutes, until thickened. Pour over chicken on tray and serve.
Makes 6 servings
I served this with a Near East Sesame Ginger rice ($1.00 total, 4 servings) and frozen vegetables ($1.00 total, 4 servings). Jim enjoyed it, I enjoyed it, and Josh said "Mommy, you can make this again!" It was a hit. A little more work than my usual crockpot meal, but definitely worth the extra time on a weekend.