Tuesday, January 27, 2009

$0.35 per serving ~ Brown Lentil Soup

I have a terrible cold. So I made Italian comfort food. This is what happens when I "wing it" in the crock pot!

Brown Lentil Soup ~ $0.35 per serving, $3.50 total cost
1 lb. brown lentils, picked over and rinsed ($1.00)
2 cartons (32 oz. each) vegetable broth ($2.50)
1 cup prepared tomato sauce ($0.25)
8 oz baby carrots ($0.50)
1 medium onion, chopped ($0.25)
1 tbsp. cumin
1 tbsp. dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste
grated cheese to taste

1. Combine all ingredients except grated cheese in 6 qt. CrockPot. Cook on low 8-10 hours.
2. Serve topped with grated cheese.
Makes 10 servings(!!!!!)

The Verdict
I served this with bread fresh from the breadmaker. Everyone had seconds and there is still plenty for lunch. It tastes just like my grandma used to make! If you like lentils, you will love this.

No comments: