Tuesday, November 11, 2008

$0.43 per serving ~ Trisha's IN-famousVodka Sauce

We're having Jim's dad and stepmom over today, and I really need to clean. Fortunately, I have a large container of vodka sauce in my freezer! There's plenty of pasta in the house and I've got Italian Herb bread in the breadmaker!

I call this my INfamous vodka sauce after the movie "The Three Amigos". "You know, IN-famous? That means more than famous!"

Trisha's IN-famous Vodka Sauce ~ $0.43 per serving not including pasta
1/2 cup of butter ($0.50)
1 large onion, chopped ($0.35)
1 cup of vodka ($1.50)
2 28 oz. cans of crushed tomatoes ($2.00)
1 quart of half and half, light cream, or heavy cream ($2.50)
Salt and pepper

1. Melt butter in large pot. Saute onion until translucent.
2. Add vodka, simmer for at least 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add tomatoes, simmer for at least 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add cream, stir until well blended. Add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for at least 15 minutes. Serve over freshly cooked pasta.
Makes 16 servings

The Verdict
Everyone I know loves this sauce. It's flavorful and comforting, and great with garlic bread. I usually pour some of the freshly made sauce over a pound of pasta, then split the rest into 3 equal sized containers to freeze for future meals. This sauce can be frozen up to 6 months. I love only having to put the effort in on one day, and knowing there's three more super-fast meals in the freezer afterwards!


No comments: