Friday, March 26, 2010

$0.39 oer serving ~ Super Fast Rotini with White Beans

Fridays are hectic in my house. We get home from work around 4:15 and at 5:15 I need to get Josh off to gymnastics. Usually we rely on "breakfast for dinner" but I had an idea for something fast and easy...

Super Fast Rotini with White Beans ~ $0.39 per serving, $2.55 total cost
1 13.25 oz. box whole grain rotini ($1.00)
olive oil
minced garlic
1- 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings, NOT drained ($0.80)
1- 15.5 oz. can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed ($0.75)
oregano
basil
chopped dried onion
parsley
shredded or grated parmesan cheese

1. Boil water, cook and drain rotini according to package directions.
2. While waiting for water to boil/rotini to cook, saute garlic in olive oil until fragrant.
3. Add tomatoes, beans, and spices to taste. Bring to bubbling and cook about 15 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
4. Serve sauce over pasta, topped with cheese.
Makes 4 servings

The Verdict
Jim devoured this. Julia devoured it. Josh was grumpy and didn't eat at all. I really liked it too, and we have NO leftovers. I will definitely make this again, but I will double it next time! I served it with crusty bread to sop up all the sauce... YUM :)

No comments: