Monday, November 30, 2009

Living Thankfully ~ Mom's famous Thanksgiving Side Dishes

Thanksgiving was always my favorite holiday at home. I loved helping my mom in the kitchen. Now, with my own children under my feet, I enjoy bringing those same traditions to our table. This year we spent Thanksgiving with my sister and her two boys as well as my dad and stepmom. I made these for us all to share.

Corn Pudding
1 stick butter
1 can creamed corn
1 can whole niblets corn, drained
1 package corn muffin mix
1 egg
1 8 oz. container of sour cream

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt butter, then mix with all other ingredients.
3. Pour into a 2.5 quart casserole dish.
4. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
Serves 6-8

This is so bad for you... and so delicious. It can be made the day ahead and reheated, or frozen up to a month ahead.

Bourbon Sweet Potatoes
4 large cans sweet potatoes, drained
2 sticks butter, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup Jim Beam bourbon
2 cups mini marshmallows

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mash together sweet potatoes, butter, sugars, and bourbon.
3. Place in large casserole dish. Top with mini marshmallows
4. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 or until marshmallows are golden brown.
Makes 10-12 servings

This is my personal favorite. I eat this for breakfast for days following Thanksgiving!

No comments: