Saturday, February 14, 2009

$1.00 per serving ~ Mom's Famous Onion Soup

Yes, yes, I know.... 11 days without Puttanesca?!?!? Suffice to say we've been dealing with a lot over here, but all is well. This month I did my first ever monthly meal plan... and I only needed about $30 worth of groceries, plus my existing stockpile, to complete it! I even have a few "reserve" meals for moments when I just can't face the kitchen.

With that said, let me share a family favorite:
Mom's Famous Onion Soup ~ $1.00 per serving, $6.00 total cost
1/2 cup butter ($0.25)
5 large sweet onions, chopped ($1.25)
2 tbsp. flour
1 32 oz. box beef. chicken, or vegetable stock ($2.50)
salt and pepper
hardened bread ends (leftovers, free!)
6 slices mozzarella ($1.00)
6 slices swiss cheese ($1.00)

1. Melt butter in soup pot. Add onions and saute until browned, stirring regularly.
2. Add flour and stir until smooth.
3. Add stock and pepper to taste. Simmer 30 minutes covered.
4. Add salt to taste. Place bread ends in soup bowl, top with 1 slice each mozzarella and swiss. Ladle hot soup over top. serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings

The Verdict
When Jim saw me chopping onions, he was very happy. I don't make this very often, which is strange because it is so easy and so delicious! Josh wanted just the broth and bread, but he left all the onions in the bottom of the bowl. Typical 3 year old! The verdict is, I should make this more often!


No comments: