I've been really sick with asthmatic bronchitis. I know when I get sick all I want is soup and comfort food... so I decided to use what I had in the house to make some "upscale" sick food.
Pumpkin Apple Soup ~ $4.20 total cost, $0.70 per serving
1/2 lb. bacon, chopped fine ($1.25)
1 large onion, chopped ($0.25)
1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree ($1.00)
1 large apple, chopped unpeeled ($0.25)
2 cups apple cider ($0.25)
1 cup water
4 chicken boullion cubes ($0.10)
1/4 cup brown sugar ($0.10)
salt to taste
dash liquid smoke
3 tsp. white pepper
2 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 cup heavy cream ($1.00)
1. Lightly saute onion and bacon in a large soup pot.
2. Add pumpkin, apple, cider, water, boullion cubes, brown sugar, salt, liquid smoke, white pepper, and pumpkin pie spice. Stir well to combine. Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 hour.
3. Use immersion blender to puree in pot, or remove to food processor and process till smooth.
4. Over very low heat, add in cream and stir until well combined. Serve immediately
Makes 6 small servings.
Crispy Cheese Sandwiches ~ $2.75 total coast, $0.64 per serving)
8 slices bread (from breadmaker, loaf cost $0.75 to make)
4 slices each provolone and muenster cheeses ($2.00)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Butter 4 slices of bread and sprinkle with grated cheese. Place face down in pyrex dish. Top with 1 slice of each cheese. Butter the other slices of bread and top the sandwiches, butter side up.
3. Bake for 10 minutes. Sprinkle grated cheese on top of sandwiches, flip, and bake 10 more minutes.
Makes 4 servings.
I made the mistake of scooping out very big bowls of this soup... it is such a rich soup, with such complex flavors, that only a little felt like a lot of food! WOW! It was so delicious. Jim loved it, his mom adored it, Josh liked it but didn't eat very much, and Julia wore most of hers. Josh did LOVE the cheese sandwich, and between him and Julia they demolished 2 whole sandwiches!