Josh requested mashed potatoes on Monday... I wound up with way too much left over. This was based on one of my grandma's old recipes with a few changes.
Ham and Mashed Potato Casserole ~ $2.70 total cost, $0.34 per serving
3 cups hot mashed potatoes (free!)
2 eggs, separated ($0.20)
1 cup evaporated milk ($0.50)
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 cup diced deli ham ($1.00)
2 tbsp butter
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese ($1.00)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix lemon juice into evaporated milk and let stand 5 minutes.
2. Blend together mashed potatoes, egg yolks, milk, and spices.
3. Fold ham into potatoes.
4. Separately beat egg whites until stiff. Fold egg whites into potatoes.
5. Butter a large casserole dish. Place potatoes into dish, and dot top with remaining butter.
6. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
7. Top with cheese and bake 10 more minutes.
Makes 8 servings
This was a HUGE success. Josh ate 3 servings, Julia 2, and Jim 2, plus Josh wants it for breakfast in the morning! I served it with frozen broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots in a light butter sauce ($1.00, $0.25 per serving.) I know what I am doing with leftover potatoes from now on!