Monday, December 8, 2008

$0.90 per serving ~ Creamy Beef & Potato Stew

I am so glad I put food in the crockpot last night... I have a wicked cold and we would have been eating microwave pizzas tonight if I hadn't!

Creamy Beef & Potato Stew ~ $0.90 per serving
1 lb. ground beef ($2.00)
1 16 oz. package frozen cut green beans ($1.00)
1 pkg. dry au gratin potato mix ($0.75)
1 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
1 tsp. garlic powder
3 cups water
1.5 cup half and half ($0.75)
Grated cheese to taste

1. Crumble ground beef into crock pot. Cook on high for 30-60 minutes, stirring occasionally, until meat is completely cooked. Drain and return beef to crockpot.
2. Add green beans, potatoes and sauce mix, and spices. Stir and pour water over mix. Cook on low 7-8 hours.
3. Stir half and half into meat mixture. Cook about 30 minutes or until completely heated. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with grated cheese.
Makes 5 servings.

The Verdict
I didn't like this much, I thought it was kind of bland. Jim and Josh really enjoyed it though. I think I need to add more cheese. Cheese makes everything better!

No comments: