Monday, December 15, 2008

$0.77 per serving ~ Vegetarian Chili

The crockpot saved my life again! I knew today would be crazy because it was Jim's first day at his new job. I didn't expect to be sick too! So Jim and Josh got a yummy hot meal and I got to go to bed as soon as I got home.

Vegetarian Chili ~$0.77 per serving
1 medium onion, chopped ($0.35)
1 small green bell pepper, chopped ($0.35)
3 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes with mild green chiles, undrained ($3.00)
1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed ($0.75)
1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed ($0.75)
3 tbsp. cocoa powder
2 tbsp. chili powder
2 tbsp. cumin
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1 package vegetable protein crumbles ($2.50)

1. Dump all ingredients except protein crumbles into crockpot. Stir well. Cook on low 8 hours.
2. Stir in protein crumbles and cook another 30 minutes. Serve.
Makes 10 servings

The Verdict
I served this to my friends J&W a while back. W is an unrepentant carnivore, so I didn't tell him it wasn't ground beef. When I told him after his first bite, he was stunned... and then asked for seconds. And thirds! This is a mainstay on my meal planning rotation.

No comments: