Sunday, December 14, 2008

$0.69 per serving ~ Quick & Dirty Spaghetti Sauce

I've been a bad Puttanesca! Things have been so crazy preparing for the holidays that I've been making only things I've already posted, eating leftovers, or having pancake nights for the family. When both parents are music teachers, holiday frenzy takes on a whole new meaning as we are both preparing and performing numerous concerts and working on our music for our church.

SO to make up for my absence, here is my "quick and dirty spaghetti sauce". (To my long-standing friends, this is NOT my traditional sauce that takes hours to make. I have shared that recipe with only 2 people who aren't blood relatives, and I will continue to keep that one secret.) I made this last night while finishing up all my yummies for my holiday baskets.

Quick & Dirty Spaghetti Sauce~ $0.69 per serving
1 lb. spaghetti ($1.00)
1 lb. ground meatball mix (beef, pork, and veal) ($1.50)
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, chopped ($0.35)
4 tbsp. minced garlic
1 large carrot, peeled and shredded ($0.10)
1 small zucchini, peeled and shredded ($0.15)
2 28 oz. cans tomato puree or crushed tomatoes ($2.00)
1 small can tomato paste ($0.40)
Salt and pepper
Oregano
Basil

1. Saute vegetables and garlic in olive oil until soft.
2. Add ground meat and brown until cooked through.
3. Add tomatoes and tomato paste, spices to taste. Saute 20 minutes.
4. Serve over cooked spaghetti.
Makes 8 servings

The Verdict
Jim loves this almost as much as my traditional meat sauce. So does Josh. And even though I'm blessed to have a kid that eats his veggies, if you shred them fine enough they disappear into the spaghetti, so it would slip by a picky eater! Serve it with good bread to sop up the leftover sauce! I prefer to use thin spaghetti or angel hair because it really grows in the pot... you get far more servings out of thinner pastas. Grandma's secret!

No comments: