1 lb. ground protein of your choice (I used turkey, $4.00)
1 can vegetarian refried beans ($1.00)
1 cup salsa (I used peach mango salsa, $2.00)
1 cup shredded cheese (I used Mexican blend, $1.00)
8 burrito-sized tortillas ($1.00)
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Brown your ground meat over medium heat and drain. (If you are using textured veggie protein or tofu, skip this step.)
3. Add refried beans and stir until well combined and heated through. (If you are using a vegetarian option, add it now and heat through.)
4. Add salsa and stir to combine. Remove from heat.
5. Lay out tortillas and divide the cheese equally. Lay it in a line down the center of the tortilla, leaving about an inch free at the top and bottom.
6. Top the cheese with 1/8th of the bean mixture.
7. Flap the top and bottom edges over the mixture. Then flip one side over the mixture and roll tightly. Place in a baking dish. Repeat with the rest of the burritos.
8. Bake for 15 minutes. Serve with sour cream and salsa on the side
Makes 8 servings
Josh was sick with strep throat and he STILL housed his burrito and half of Julia's. Julia enjoyed half of it but was more interested in the green beans and tomatoes that Grammy made as a side dish. Jim and I argued over who was going to get the leftovers for lunch. I won :) I will make this again soon. I want to try different types of salsa and proteins... "smart ground" and salsa verde, chicken and black bean and corn salsa, the possibilities are endless!