Saturday, April 9, 2011

$5.95 total cost ~ Marianne's Famous Chicken Salad

This week I was really missing my family. Maybe it was the sunny, warming weather, or the upcoming holiday, but I wanted to be in Florida, out by my Dad's pool, chatting with my stepmom Marianne and laughing with my family. Based on that (and my crazy hectic parent-teacher conference schedule) I planned to pick up a rotisserie chicken on the way home Friday. Not because I love roast chicken so much, but because I had a plan for the leftovers!

Marianne's Famous Chicken Salad ~ $5.95 total cost
2 cups chopped cooked chicken (1/3 a rotisserie chicken, $2.00)
1 cup halved seedless grapes (1/4 lb. $0.25)
11 ounces mandarin oranges, drained ($1.00)
1 cup chopped celery ($0.25)
1/2 cup sliced almonds ($1.00)
1/4 cup T. Marzetti's Poppyseed Dressing ($1.25)
1/4 cup mayonnaise ($0.10)
2 tbsp sliced green onion ($0.10)

1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl.
2. Mix dressing, mayonnaise, and green onions in a bowl. Add to chicken mixture, stirring gently.
3. Refrigerate several hours. Toss lightly before serving. Serve over lettuce, with crackers, on toast, or all by itself!

The Verdict
I don't know how many servings this makes. I just know we all love it here and it doesn't last long!



No comments: