This was a super speedy dinner... easy to put together and get on the table!
Quickest Ever Chicken Pot Pie ~ $0.81 per serving, $4.85 total cost
3 boneless chicken breasts, cooked and chopped ($2.00)
1 16 oz package frozen mixed vegetables, thawed ($1.00)
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted ($0.70)
1/2 cup french fried onions, divided ($0.50)
1 egg ($0.25)
1/2 cup milk ($0.10)
1 cup biscuit/pancake mix ($0.30)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Mix chicken, vegetables, soup, and 1/4 cup of the onions together. Spice to taste and blend well. Place into a deep casserole dish. (This can be done ahead of time and left in the refrigerator to allow the flavors to meld.)
3. Beat together the egg and milk. Mix in biscuit mix until just moistened.
4. Pour over the chicken mix. Top with remaining onions.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Makes 6 servings
Before dinner was even out of the oven Josh was running around the house singing "Chicken pot, chicken pot, chicken pot PIE!!!!!!" with Julia chiming in on "PIE!!!!" and laughing hysterically. Thank goodness they enjoyed this enough that the singing was worth the energy! They both attacked it and demolished their plates. Josh said it was "super yummy" and Julia answered him with "yeah, ummy!" Jim enjoyed it too and we both have leftovers for lunch at work today. I need to be more heavy-handed with the spices, since I felt it needed a bit more rosemary and onion. Maybe adding garlic next time? Or a touch of liquid smoke? It's definitely worth making again!