Wednesday, January 27, 2010

$0.49 oer serving ~ Spaghetti with Veggies and Lentils

It's been a while since I've done something new in my Crock Pot. I decided this New Year to challenge myself to at least two vegetarian dinners per week. This was a good one.

Spaghetti with Veggies and Lentils ~ $4.85 total cost, $0.49 per serving
1 medium onion, chopped ($0.10)
4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped ($0.15)
2 celery stalks, chopped ($0.10)
1 can diced tomatoes, liquid included ($0.90)
1 8 oz can tomato sauce ($0.60)
1 cup vegetable stock ($0.75)
1/2 cup dried lentils, picked over and rinsed ($0.25)
garlic powder
oregano
basil
crushed red pepper
1 lb. whole wheat spaghetti ($1.00)
grated cheese

1. Add first 7 ingredients to crock pot. Add spices to taste, stir to combine.
2. Cook in crock pot on low for 8-10 hours.
3. Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain, and stir into lentil/veggie mixture
4. Top each serving with grated cheese
Makes 10 servings

The Verdict
No one said ANYTHING, not even Julia. Bowls were quickly demolished and seconds requested. When I asked Josh if he liked it, he looked up with his mouth full, nodded quickly, and took another bite. Success!

It was a bit thicker than I liked, so I thinned it just before adding the spaghetti by stirring in extra vegetable stock. TONS of leftovers.

No comments: