Sunday, February 14, 2010

$0.89 per serving ~ Better than Frozen Fish Sticks

Josh was asking for fish sticks. (I know, what kid asks for fish sticks? Josh is weird!) I always hated the frozen ones, so I decided to make my own. Probably didn't save all that much money on it, but I know what is in it!

Better than Frozen Fish Sticks ~ $0.89 per serving, $7.15 total cost
1.5 cups flour ($0.25)
1 tbsp dry mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups buttermilk ($1.00)
2 eggs ($0.20)
1.25 pounds tilapia, cut into 32 strips ($5.00)
2 cups panko bread crumbs ($0.25)
1 cup canola oil ($0.45)

1. Mix flour, mustard, and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add buttermilk and eggs and stir till well blended.
2. Coat fish strips in egg mixture, then breadcrumbs. Heat oil in a large pan.
3. Fry in batches until done, turning once, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
4. Serve immediately with your choice of dipping sauce.
Serves 8

The Verdict
The kids absolutely devoured this. Jim's mom enjoyed it, Jim (who hates fish) really liked it, and I enjoyed it too. This is a HUGE recipe. I get my fish from BJ's, but next time I will freeze half and only make half a batch. I served this with mashed potatoes (Idahoan from a bag, $1.00) and broccoli, cauliflower and carrots (Pictsweet frozen, $1.00) This was a hit!

No comments: